Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cheap, easy and delicious Mexican recipe for your “5 de Mayo” dinner



Today is Cinco de Mayo, The 5th of May, a Mexican holiday that celebrates a battle victory over France in 1862. You don’t have to be Mexican to join in the festivities. It looks like there are a few parties around Tampa Bay area. But if you decide to stay at home, this is a good opportunity to have a homemade Mexican dish for dinner. Isn’t it!? Here is an unexpensive and “easy to make” recipe. I had it for lunch. So yummy!!!

Baked Rice and Beans
1 ½ Tbsp of Olive Oil (I use spray)
1 cup of chopped onion (I love it, so I used a big one, more than 1 cup)
2 cloves of garlic
1 bell pepper (I used half of a red and half of a green one)
1 minced japeleno (I used a small, without seeds)
1 cup of crushed tomatoes (I had fresh, but you can use a canned one)
Juice of one lime (I used a fresh one)
2 tsp of chili powder (I used 1 tablespoon and a half because I love it too)
1 tsp of dried oregano
Salt (I don’t use it…)
1 can of Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 cup of cooked brown rice (I used a left over)
Scallions (include tops and bulb, please)
Monterey Jack (this cheese is delicious)




Directions
1) Cook the brown rice about 1 hour before or use a left over like I did. Chop the onion, peppers and mince the japeleno pepper and the garlic. Shred the Monteray Jack cheese or buy it already shredded.
2) In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm oil. Add onion, garlic and sauté. Add bell peppers and japeleno pepper and sauté until peppers are softened. Stir tomatoes, lime juice, chili powder, oregano and salt (if you are using it). In another bowl combine it with beans, rice and scallions.
3) Place mixture in a casserole. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes in 350 degrees.



Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment